Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Speech Language Pathology


"Thank you, TPS Foundation, for your support of us and for the provision of therapy materials." 
---Janea Davis, Stephanie Ford, Emily Freise and Robyn Rowland


Name:  Janea Davis, Stephanie Ford, Emily Freise, Robyn Rowland
Subject taught:  Speech Language Pathology
Grant received:  4 iPad Airs and $400 in iTunes gift cards to purchase apps ($3,675.80)


     “During ESY, I had the opportunity to put my new iPad to great use. I was working with one of my own kiddos so I was very familiar with this student. This third grade student is categorized as Intellectually Disabled and is in speech with articulation and both receptive and expressive language goals. In my last year working with this student, I had never been able to help him produce a /k/ or a /g/ sound in words. The first day of summer school speech, I decided to try out our new app, Articulation Station. This app allows the student to hear a prompt, repeat it into a microphone that is recording them, and then listen to a playback of their production.  He immediately began recognizing his error, AND making the correct production!  I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. He was making 70+% each session. I am so thankful for this new tool that I know the children will enjoy using, AND that is actually helping them meet goals.” –Janea Davis, MS, CCC-SLP

     “I love how the iPad has all I need in ‘one’ place.  I travel to the high school to see students for therapy.  I have always had to carry a bag full of the different materials I might need.  This year all I have to take is my iPad.  It has everything I need and/or might possibly need during a therapy session.  It can be used as a data collecting tool, reinforcement, a resource, or as the therapy tool itself.  The students can use it to record their sound productions and also as a mirror so they can hear and see themselves.” –Robyn Rowland, MS, SLP

     “The iPads awarded to the speech and language program at Tahlequah Schools by the TPS Foundation have greatly enhanced our sessions with students.  Students are able to view 3-dimensional diagrams to help them find correct articulator placement.  They are able to record themselves and get immediate feedback, which has aided in the carryover of learned skills.  We have also been able to address individual goals more thoroughly and effectively with apps more specific to individual student needs.  Thank you, Tahlequah Foundation, for your generosity and help in getting materials for our classrooms.” –Emily Freise, MS, CCC-SLP

Will you help teachers make a difference?  Every dollar matters.
Tahlequah Public Schools Foundation does not replace state funds for education.  Its goal is to nourish excellence and provide a wider range of educational opportunities for our students.  With your help, we can help fund more grants.

No comments:

Post a Comment